I have a little over 500 miles on my ASICS Gel-1140s so it’s time to buy new shoes. I got these 1140s on sale here in Barcelona last February and was planning on just ordering the exact same shoes from Road Runners Sports and have them shipped to my parents’ for my August arrival. That way, I’d benefit from the euro/dollar exchange rate and avoid packing running shoes for my flight stateside. However, last night I saw that the 1140s have been discontinued! Should I just order the new 1150s from RRS or is it best to pay the extra money and purchase the shoes at a local shop, where I can try them on?
Advice and shoe stories appreciated.
Friday, July 2, 2010
1. Lo & behold: Barcelona runners are suddenly friendly! Little actual waving, but some did nod in acknowledgement of the heat. Usually people just push on by. It’s not like suburban Baltimore where people smile and greet when they see another human on foot as opposed to in car.
2. Thank goodness there are water fountains every mile along much of the beach.
3. I remembered to put my sunscreen all over.
4. I was supposed to be at work, but instead I was running!
5. During the euphoric stage of this run, I psyched myself up to get serious about speed work and hills once I’m actually on vacation. I envisioned my dad timing me at the track at my old high school. Funny what goes through your head on a hot run in the sun.
6. Richard Buckner & Barricada on the I-pod.
1. Basically no shade. I'd trade those other runners and their timid nods for some more trees in a New York minute.
2. Hot water from the fountains. Yuck, a hot stream coming atcha is not refreshing.
3. By mile 8 the ‘screen was in my eyes.
4. Am I perhaps crazy to take a vacation day in order to make sure I get a long run in before a trip?
5. I actually need to start that speed work right away and it’s hot, hot, hot.
6. Stupid-ass, ugly Nike I-pod armband.